We are making exciting progress on the construction of the new Howard and Irene Levine Community Center! The 18,000 square foot Community Center will be located just to the east of Malkin Hall and will front on Ventura Boulevard. The new Center will provide various opportunities for our students and the synagogue community, including a state-of-the-art gym, performance and prayer space on the main level, and 21st century library commons, multi-media center, and music center on the lower level. VBS synagogue and schools will be fully functional throughout the entire construction process.
Read the Jewish Journal Article featuring the VBS Building Project (October 2017) >
Full time lapse progress video can be seen at this link starting at the 1 minute mark (hit triangle play button).
Check out our Levine Community Center brochure!
The following recent work has been completed (as of August 31, 2018):
- At ground level, all of the exterior walls of the building have been constructed and the steel trusses that will support the roof (and be attractive from the inside of the building) have been installed. The concrete floor has been completed. Frames for our skylights are in. The metal deck of the mezzanine has been completed.
- In the basement, 95% of the metal framing to create the layout of the Rosen Library and Alpert Music Room has been completed. Similarly, about 90% of our mechanical, electrical and plumbing work has been installed.
- All DWP transformer relocation and installation work has been completed. New SoCal Gas lines have been installed for the building.
What you can expect in the Fall of 2018
- Construction of the bridge connecting the second floor of the Sandler school building to the mezzanine level of the Community Center.
- Pouring the concrete decking of the mezzanine level
- Drywalling of the rooms and restrooms on the Library and Gymnasium level.
- Excavation for and construction of the elevator serving the building.
- Finish work will commence in the late fall months with the hope and expectation that the Community Center will be ready to open in late winter.
- Our sound barrier wall continues to help us minimize noise from the construction site on school and synagogue activities.
- Modular classrooms for our Day School Kindergarten classes will continue to be in use on the Reznik Lot during the fall semester and we will continue to use the outdoor areas of the lot were converted to a sports and play area.
- All parking will remain on the Sinder Lot for the foreseeable future.
Renderings of the new community center
and 21st Century Library (located on the lower level)
For further information about the construction process, please contact:
Bart Pachino, VBS Executive Director (818) 788-6000
Karin Mendel, Director of Finance and Operations at the Day School (818) 788-2199
To inquire about gifts to the VBS Building Campaign, please contact:
Bart Pachino, Executive Director (818) 788-6000