We are making exciting progress on the construction of the new Howard and Irene Levine Community Center! The 18,000 square foot Community Center will be located just to the east of Malkin Hall and will front on Ventura Boulevard. The new Center will provide various opportunities for our students and the synagogue community, including a state-of-the-art gym, performance and prayer space on the main level, and 21st century library commons, multi-media center, and music center on the lower level. VBS synagogue and schools will be fully functional throughout the entire construction process.
Read the Jewish Journal Article featuring the VBS Building Project (October 2017) >
Full time lapse progress video can be seen at this link starting at the 1 minute mark (hit triangle play button).
Check out our Levine Community Center brochure!
The following recent work has been completed (as of October 2018):
- All of the exterior walls of the building have been constructed. The steel trusses that will support the roof (and be attractive from the inside of the building) have been completed and the metal roof deck and skylight frames have been installed.
- The metal deck of the mezzanine inside the Gymnasium is completed. Most of the outdoor "paseo" deck frame has been completed.
- In the basement, all metal framing and utility infrastructure to create the layout of the Rosen Library and Alpert Music Room has been completed. Dry wall framing has begun and should be 90% completed in November.
What you can expect into January 2019:
- Completion of the core of the bridge connecting the second floor of the Sandler school building to the mezzanine level of the Community Center.
- The clerstory windows at the top of the roof line, the white "FRP" paneling along the middle exterior level of the building and the skylights will be installed.
- Pouring the concrete decking of the mezzanine level.
- Initial installation of interior finishes.
- Construction of the elevator serving the building will continue.
- Our sound barrier wall continues to help us minimize noise from the construction site on school and synagogue activities.
- We will continue to use the outdoor areas of the Reznik lot that were converted to a sports and play area. Kindergarten classes have been relocated back to the permanent rooms, and the modular classrooms will be removed.
- All parking remains in the Sinder Lot for the foreseeable future.
- We are hopeful to begin work related to the Sinder Entrance Pavilion and Garden in January 2019.
Further updates on the construction process will be provided as new developments arise.
Renderings of the new community center
and 21st Century Library (located on the lower level)
For further information about the construction process, please contact:
Bart Pachino, VBS Executive Director (818) 788-6000
Karin Mendel, Director of Finance and Operations at the Day School (818) 788-2199
To inquire about gifts to the VBS Building Campaign, please contact:
Bart Pachino, Executive Director (818) 788-6000