We are excited to announce that construction of the new Howard and Irene Levine Community Center has begun!The 18,000 square foot Community Center will be located just to the east of Malkin Hall and will front on Ventura Boulevard. The new Center will provide various opportunities for our students and the synagogue community, including a state-of-the-art gym, library and multi-media center, performance and prayer space, and music center. VBS synagogue and schools will be fully functional throughout the entire construction process.
Read the Jewish Journal Article featuring the VBS Building Project (October 2017) >
Full time lapse progress video can be seen at this link starting at the 1 minute mark.
The following work has been completed (as of 12/2017):
- Our excavation began in September and was fully completed -- 17 feet below grade -- in early December. This required thousands of loads of dirt to be removed and hauled off by trucks. We were very pleased how smoothly this aspect of our project went during the fall.
- Since then, our contractor (Driver SPG) has begun installing the concrete perimeter footings to the building and a variety of waterproofing activities. We also worked with Southern California Gas to re-route some gas lines during construction and were able to do that during the school vacations to minimize disruption.
- Thanks to the nature of the work to date, and to our noise barriers, these activities have not been disruptive at all to school or synagogue functions. Things will get a little noisier when the actual construction of the steel structure of the building begins, but that is still several weeks away.
- Our security and dust control measures continue to work very well on the site.
What you can expect over the next several weeks (early 2018)
- We will be completing our footings and waterproofing of the foundation and walls, installing rebar in the walls, and spraying "shotcrete" to form the walls of the structure.
- Noise will increase once the steel frame of the building begins to be installed.
- Later this winter, we will be working with the Department of Water and Power to install a more powerful electric transformer on our property to support the new construction. This will require street work and some lane closures on Ventura Boulevard, east of Densmore -- and we will let you know when that will begin. "
Prior to Excavation in September, the following work and updates were completed:
- A sound barrier wall was installed along the Sandler Education Building to minimize noise and dust impact
- Work on the Malkin Hall roof was completed to accommodate additional mechanical equipment
- Additional DWP power lines were installed to accommodate a new transformer to be constructed later in the project
- Modular classrooms for our Day School Kindergarten classes are in use on the Reznik Lot -- and the outdoor areas of the lot were converted to a sports and play area
- We have moved the VBS Library out of the synagogue lower level to temporary quarters in Day School classrooms, allowing us to build out the basement space for three fantastic rooms, including a small gym, as part of the new Infant-Toddler and Family Center.
- All VBS parking is now in the main Sinder Lot just west of Densmore. A golf cart is available for use for those who need assistance crossing the street to the main entrance. Reserved parking spaces have been reduced, freeing up more spaces near the Densmore entrance for members, school families and visitors.
Renderings of the new community center
For further information about the construction process, please contact:
Bart Pachino, VBS Executive Director (818) 788-6000
Karin Mendel, Director of Finance and Operations at the Day School (818) 788-2199
To inquire about gifts to the VBS Building Campaign, please contact:
Bart Pachino, Executive Director (818) 788-6000