We are making exciting progress on the construction of the new Howard and Irene Levine Community Center! The 18,000 square foot Community Center will be located just to the east of Malkin Hall and will front on Ventura Boulevard. The new Center will provide various opportunities for our students and the synagogue community, including a state-of-the-art gym, performance and prayer space on the main level, and 21st century library commons, multi-media center, and music center on the lower level. VBS synagogue and schools will be fully functional throughout the entire construction process.
Read the Jewish Journal Article featuring the VBS Building Project (October 2017) >
Full time lapse progress video can be seen at this link starting at the 1 minute mark (hit triangle play button).
Check out our Levine Community Center brochure!
The following recent work has been completed (as of March 2018):
- In February and March, we completed our footings and waterproofing of the basement foundation and walls.
- We are working with the Department of Water and Power to complete the installation of a more powerful electric transformer on our property to support the new construction. This requires street work and some lane closures on Ventura Boulevard, east of Densmore.
- Thanks to the nature of the work to date, and to our noise barriers, these activities have not been disruptive at all to school or synagogue functions. Things will get a little noisier when the actual construction of the steel structure of the building begins, but that is still several weeks away.
- Security and dust control measures continue to work very well on the site.
What you can expect in Spring 2018
- Steel templates and plywood are being set to form the deck of the main floor of the gymnasium.
- Pouring the concrete for the main gym floor is expected during the first few days of May.
- Construction of the exterior walls is expected in May and into late spring and early summer.
Prior to Excavation in September, the following work and updates were completed:
- A sound barrier wall was installed along the Sandler Education Building to minimize noise and dust impact
- Work on the Malkin Hall roof was completed to accommodate additional mechanical equipment
- Additional DWP power lines were installed to accommodate a new transformer to be constructed later in the project
- Modular classrooms for our Day School Kindergarten classes are in use on the Reznik Lot -- and the outdoor areas of the lot were converted to a sports and play area
- We have moved the VBS Library out of the synagogue lower level to temporary quarters in Day School classrooms, allowing us to build out the basement space for three fantastic rooms, including a small gym, as part of the new Infant-Toddler and Family Center.
- All VBS parking is now in the main Sinder Lot just west of Densmore. A golf cart is available for use for those who need assistance crossing the street to the main entrance. Reserved parking spaces have been reduced, freeing up more spaces near the Densmore entrance for members, school families and visitors.
Renderings of the new community center
and 21st Century Library (located on the lower level)
For further information about the construction process, please contact:
Bart Pachino, VBS Executive Director (818) 788-6000
Karin Mendel, Director of Finance and Operations at the Day School (818) 788-2199
To inquire about gifts to the VBS Building Campaign, please contact:
Bart Pachino, Executive Director (818) 788-6000