We are excited to announce that construction of the new Howard and Irene Levine Community Center has begun. Excavation began on Thursday, September 7. 2017. This will involve demolition of existing asphalt and excavating the basement of the Levine Center. The 18,000 square foot Community Center will be located just to the east of Malkin Hall and will front on Ventura Boulevard. The new Center will provide various opportunities for our students and the synagogue community, including a state-of- the-art gym, library and multi-media center, performance and prayer space, and music center. VBS synagogue and schools will be fully functional throughout the entire construction process.
Prior to the start of excavation, the following work was completed over the summer:
- A sound barrier wall was installed along the Sandler Education Building to minimize noise and dust impact
- Work on the Malkin Hall roof was completed to accommodate additional mechanical equipment
- Additional DWP power lines were installed to accommodate a new transformer to be constructed later in the project
- Modular classrooms for our Day School Kindergarten classes have been completed on the Reznik Lot -- and the outdoor areas of the lot have been converted to a sports and play area for our students. The modular classrooms have been a big hit the first two weeks of school.
- We have moved the VBS Library out of the synagogue basement to temporary quarters in Day School classrooms, allowing us to build out the basement space for three fantastic rooms, including a small gym, for our Toddler classes.
- Our camps completed a wonderful summer using the Reznik Lot play area (including our summer pool) and our turf field.
- All VBS parking is now in the main Sinder Lot just west of Densmore. A golf cart is available for use for those who need assistance crossing the street to the main entrance. We will have a second golf cart for the month of September (through Yom Kippur).
- Reserved parking spaces have been reduced, freeing up more spaces near the Densmore entrance for members, school families and visitors.
Further updates on the construction process will be provided as new developments arise.
CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW FOR FAQ's AND A MAP:
BUILDING PROJECT FAQs
MAP OF THE SITE
For further information about the construction process, please contact Bart Pachino, VBS Executive Director at (818) 788-6000 or Karin Mendel, Director of Finance and Operations at the Day School, at (818) 788-2199.
To inquire about gifts to the VBS Building Campaign, please contact Bart Pachino, Executive Director, at (818) 788-6000.