We are making exciting progress on the construction of the new Howard and Irene Levine Community Center! The 18,000 square foot Community Center will be located just to the east of Malkin Hall and will front on Ventura Boulevard. The new Center will provide various opportunities for our students and the synagogue community, including a state-of-the-art gym, performance and prayer space on the main level, and 21st century library commons, multi-media center, and music center on the lower level. VBS synagogue and schools will be fully functional throughout the entire construction process.
Read the Jewish Journal Article featuring the VBS Building Project (October 2017) >
Full time lapse progress video can be seen at this link starting at the 1 minute mark (hit triangle play button).
Check out our Levine Community Center brochure!
The following recent work has been completed:
- All of the exterior walls of the building have been constructed. The steel trusses that will support the roof (and be attractive from the inside of the building) have been completed and the metal roof deck and skylight frames have been installed.
- The metal deck of the mezzanine inside the Gymnasium is completed. Most of the outdoor "paseo" deck frame has been completed.
- In the basement, all metal framing, utility infrastructure and drywall to create the layout of the Rosen Library and Alpert Music Room have been completed.
- The metal roof deck and skylight frames have been installed and the roof is now complete.
- The white fiberglass paneling that wraps the building has been fully installed on exterior walls.
What you can expect into May 2019:
- The mezzanine deck inside the Gymnasium and the "Paseo" connection to the Sandler school building are nearing completion. Soon the pavers and planters for the Paseo will be installed.
- The boundary wall along Ventura is about 85% complete.
- On the lower level, we are in the process of completing the restrooms, cabinetry and painting. Soon, we will complete the installation of the unique ceiling fixture, glass doors, flooring and wall coverings.
- Big items that still require completion include installation of the elevator servicing the Community Center, the clerestory glass at the top level below the roof line, the gym floor, and the outdoor sports court and other landscaping. There's lots to do, but a lot of progress is being made every day!
- All parking remains in the Sinder Lot for the foreseeable future.
Further updates on the construction process will be provided as new developments arise.
Renderings of the new community center
and 21st Century Library (located on the lower level)
For further information about the construction process, please contact:
Bart Pachino, VBS Executive Director (818) 788-6000
Karin Mendel, Director of Finance and Operations at the Day School (818) 788-2199
To inquire about gifts to the VBS Building Campaign, please contact:
Bart Pachino, Executive Director (818) 788-6000