SO HEALTHY TOGETHER
A Community Response to Mental Health & Suicide Prevention
In fall 2018, VBS launched a community initiative addressing issues that are becoming more public and prevalent surrounding Mental Health and Wellness. Mental illness affects one out of every five adults in the United States. About 16 million adults suffer from depression and 42 million live with various anxiety disorders. We at Valley Beth Shalom are touched by this disease as well. That is why we launched our "So Healthy Together" initiative - to address the causes of mental illness and to form a strong VBS community to give support and healing to those who are in need.
Thank you to everyone who joined us at our launch event on September 30, 2018 where we hosted a panel of prestigious doctors and volunteers joined us from organizations including Didi Hirsch, Teen Line, Children's Hospital, NAMI, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, San Fernando Valley Community Mental Health Center and The VBS Counseling Center.
Following our series launch are breakout events curated for different demographics within the community will take place throughout the year. Sessions are free and open to the community. Please check our events listed below and join us!
More coming soon!
Visit the VBS Counseling Center website
Provided by Marissa Leitner, Director of Student Support Services at VBSDS:
- Child Mind Institute: What To Do and Not Do When Children Are Anxious
- Child Mind Institute: What is Social Anxiety?
- Wall Street Journal: The Right Way for Parents to Help Anxious Children
- The Atlantic: All Work and No Play: Why Your Kids are More Anxious and Depressed
- Go Zen: 72 Phrases to Calm an Anxious Child
- What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety by Dawn Huebner
- Month of Mindfulness: 4-Week Presence-Awareness Challenge